Summer season from june 23rd to september 1st, 2018.

Road access info

 

[ROAD ACCESS INFORMATION]

FROM GRENOBLE
Take the motorway to Grenoble and leave at Exit 8 for Briançon & Vizille.
Then take the D1091 towards Briançon via Le Bourg d'Oisans.
Turn right at the Chambon dam and drive up the D213.


FROM BRIANCON / ITALY

→ The Chambon Tunnel road is closed until december 15th, 2017. 
Please take the "rescue road" (5.30km on the left side of Chambon lake).
→ For 3.5t trucks and campers Les 2 Alpes access from Briançon/Italy is mandatory via Frejus Tunnel .

 

HAVE A SAFE TRIP!

Once upon a time in Les 2 Alpes

Return to the list

Once upon a time in Les 2 Alpes

Yves Georges venosc n1

A look back in images of the key stages in the development of your favourite resort

It all began on an Alpine pasture… Every summer, fifteen or so families would come up from the villages of Venosc and Mont de Lans to raise their cattle and grow enough crops to see them through the winter. With the first snowfall, they would return to their winter dwellings.

 christine delahousse n2

In 1932, the first skiers reached the plateau on foot. The first road was built soon after between Mont de Lans village and ‘l’Alpe’, and Rodolphe Tessa then built a mountain refuge on Alpe de Mont de Lans. In 1934, the Mounier family opened an auberge on Alpe de Venosc.

 vieille carte ostale n3

In 1946, the «resort» concept was born. The resort of Les 2 Alpes was comprised of Alpe de Venosc and Alpe de Mont de Lans, alpine pastures in the respective villages. The first ski lift was soon created. Le Fioc below.

In 1955, Joseph MARTIN sold the first ski pass at 2.50 Francs. In the same year, the resort was officially named Les 2 ALPES.

 televoiture diable Yves Georges n4

In 1957, René FAURE was given the role of resort director, assisted by Joseph MARTIN and Edouard CHALVIN from the ski lift company, as well as Louis CARREL from the ski school. Tourism was gathering pace and an extensive action plan was launched: organisation of sporting events, activities and entertainment, accommodation and creation of a ski patrol and rescue service.

By 1970, there were already 40 hotels and 23 ski lifts!!

 jandri 3 1972 n5

1972 saw the opening of the Jandri 3, reaching up to the glacier. Venosc was also linked to Les 2 Alpes by gondola lift at this point.

In 1973, summer skiing began!

By then, the resort had 22,000 tourist beds and the ski area boasted 160 km of runs.

 1er jandri hiver n6

1985 welcomed the legendary JANDRI EXPRESS.
In 1989, the resort inagurated the highest funicular in France: the Dôme Express. It linked the foot of the glacier to the Dôme de Puy Salié at an altitude of 3,421 metres.

 MONDIAL n7

1990 was the start of the snowsports era, with the first «surf trials» born from the passion of two shopkeepers, André LEPLUS and Lina HUAN. By 1993, these trials had turned into an unmissable event: the MONDIAL DU SNOWBOARD. 5 years later, in 1998, saw the addition of the MONDIAL DU SKI.
The resort rode on the crest of this new wave, that led to the creation of the snowpark in 1994, which has since become one of the best parks in Europe. User expectations changed and Les 2 ALPES added fun adventure areas during the 2003-2004 winter season: canyons, ridges, corridors, Slide zones…

 OT Les 2 Alpes Bruno Longo 3 3

In 1999, the Choucas Bikers launched the legendary Mountain Of Hell mountain bike race.

2004 saw the first Mondial du VTT mountain biking event. The ski lifts were equipped to carry downhill MTBs, and trails were marked out to provide some 100km of summer itineraries.

In 2016, the resort recorded a total of 29, 251 tourist beds and 425 hectares (111 acres) of marked ski runs.

 

Thank you to the Delahousse Family and also to Yves George and delcampe.net for the photos.

Main source: «Raconte-moi les 2 Alpes», a book by Jack Fournier.

Or using your 2 Alpes ID & password

Register